Nobo Komagata's Home Page
- My Not-So-Mainstream Position about (High School) Education. 2018. (html/pdf)
- Periodontal Home Care: Dr. Katayama’s Holistic Approach to Gum Diseases. 2017. (html/pdf)
- Why Don't We Start from Students' Problems? 2017. (html/pdf)
- Concerns about McMindfulness. 2016. (html)
- A Pothole Analogy Applied to the Peace of Mind. 2016. (html/pdf)
- Right Mindfulness through Diagrams: Experimentation beyond Bare Attention. 2014. (html/pdf)
- Education as a "Buying" Process: Contrasting with the Conventional, "Selling" View of Education. 2014. (html/pdf)
- On Positive Behavior Support: A Critical View. 2013. [PBS/PBIS as obedience training] (html/pdf)
- When We Really Want to Bring about Changes in People. 2013. (html/pdf)
- Teaching is Overrated. Good Teachers Don't Teach. 2013. (html/pdf)
- Attachment and Non-Attachment: Attachment Theory and Buddhism. 2009. (html/pdf)
- Ava's Bedside: Making Sense Through Attachment. With Sachiko Komagata. 2008. (view/pdf)
Started in 2008 and later inspired by Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book, Right Mindfulness (2012), my practice currently focuses on the active aspect of (right) mindfulness (cf. the popular and passive notion of mindfulness as present moment awareness without judgment, often called "bare attention"). My current view is as follows: Right mindfulness is to begin with a good understanding of the problem (e.g., suffering) and the underlying mechanisms (e.g., dependent origination), make appropriate efforts, and develop meditatition skills (e.g., right concentration+mindfulness) that could let us recondition and then uncondition our minds. This calls for conscious/meta-level handling of active components, including intention and attention. More details are in my Right Mindfulness essay.
Links: Reading |
| Family .
All the documents written by Nobo Komagata and available within this domain or the Internet Archive are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. 2019-04-18
or via contact form ( Wordpress site) The same background image (bandoneon) since 1994.
Nobo Komagata (Naonobu Komagata) / 駒形 直伸